Amazing French Fries – 3 Ways to Make the Best French Fries Ever!
3 Ways to Make the Best French Fries Ever!
Are you craving those restaurant-style French Fries at home or just want to make some incredible fries for the family? We have some helpful tips and 3 different ways to cook french fries that are irresistible and will make you want more!
We all know that the common way to fry french fries (and disputed by some as the best and only way to cook them!) is to fry them in oil, otherwise known as ‘deep fat frying’. This is where the name comes from! But how about 2 other healthier ways? Yes! You can enjoy that amazing crunch and texture without all the oil by using either the oven or the newest method, air frying which requires no oil!
Let’s take a look at all three methods below and the Pros and Cons.
Deep Fat Frying Method
As the name suggests, this is the method of frying your fries, or in the UK and Europe ‘Chips’, in oil or lard. This can be done with a dedicated deep fat fryer or with a pot over a stove or open fire.
Taste of Home recommends that french fries should be blanched first at 325 ℉ for 3 to 4 minutes and then fried at 400℉ for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
The advantages of using the traditional method of deep frying your fries are:
- You get that traditional crispy texture.
- This is the fastest method.
- The flavour tends to be just that little bit more tasty than other methods.
The disadvantages of deep frying are:
- Not as healthy as there is saturated fats and oils.
- Oil must be disposed of once used.
- Can be messy and the oil vapours and smells can penetrate the house.
The Oven Method
For the more health-conscious eater, the oven is a perfect method to get that delightful crispy french fry without all the oil and saturated fats.
This method requires a bit more time and a few steps to make sure you get the best results, but your body will thank you for it later!
Preheat your oven to 350℉ before you start to ensure that your fries have the best chance. Do not thaw your fries. Once the oven is preheated, place the frozen fries directly on an open baking rack. Placing them on a rack allows for air to flow around the fries for an even and crispy cook on all sides. Do not stack the fries, but make sure they are evenly spread in a single layer. Put into your preheated oven and cook till golden brown! It is as simple as that.
The advantages of the oven method for fries:
- No Oil, so much heathier
- An oven is a basic household appliance, so readily available to use.
- No mess to clean up. No oil splatters etc.
Disadvantages of the oven method:
- If not done right, you can have soggy fries.
- Will take longer than traditional deep frying.
- Takes up the whole oven for larger quantities of fries so you cannot cook two things at once.
The Air Fryer Method
As we have said already, this is the new kid on the block! What if we told you that it was possible to have the deep-fried crisp and texture without any of the extra oil and unhealthy bits? Yes! That IS what we are saying!
Air Fryers use extreme heat and air circulation to replicate the deep-fried result without any oil. Simply switch on the fryer, follow the instruction in the fryer manual for the french fries, put the fries in and wait for the magic to happen! Yes, we have tried this, and we definitely recommend it!
Advantages of using the air fryer method for french fries:
- Like the oven, no oils and extra saturated fats.
- No mess and splatter.
- Quicker than the oven, 15-20 mins and you have beautiful crispy fries.
- Deep fried texture with the health benefits of the oven method.
Disadvantages of the air fryer method:
- Takes a bit longer than traditional deep frying.
- Does not have the flavour of deep-fried fries.
Which is the Best Method for Cooking French Fries?
All three of these methods can give extremely good results. It comes down to your personal preference and how worried you are about your health!
We recommend the air fryer method as you get the best of both worlds: Healthy and Nice Fried Texture.
How Do I Make my Fries Tastier?
So, as you will note, one of the downsides of using the oven or air fryer method is the lack of that deep-fried flavour, which comes from the oil and fats which are bad for your health!
But does this mean you have to sacrifice flavour for the healthy option? We say No! Below we share a few tips to help you add a little pizzaz to your healthy fries!
- Always salt your fries while they are still hot from the oven. The salt will stick to your fries better when they are fresh out of the oven.
- Put your cooked fries in a bowl, salt to your preference, then cover the bowl with a plate and shake or toss to coat all the fries evenly.
- Still too bland? Why not add some chili powder, geera (cumin), Black pepper or seasoning of your choice to spice things up and give you your own unique fry flavour.
- If doing a meal, cook your fries last so that they go straight to your guests. This way, they will have the crispiest fries possible!
Recommended French Fries
Ready to cook some fries? We have a list of products below that Westco stocks to make sure you have the best fries possible!
- Forte Frost Crinkle Cut Fries
- Steak Cut Fries
- Straight Cut Fries
- Super Crunch Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries – For the healthy eaters!
- Vegetable Frying Oil – For the traditional deep fry!